Sunday, May 19, 2013

Answered Prayers

Compassion is defined as a feeling of distress and pity for the suffering or misfortune of another, often including the desire to alleviate it. Many months ago I began praying for more compassion for others. And not just in general for those hurting but for those closest to me. This desire was on my heart partially because of wanting deeper relationships with friends and family, but more importantly a deeper relationship with God. I saw this gift in friends and those around me and I valued their compassion and empathy so much.  Although I know these feelings and reactions don't come naturally to me, I knew God would hear my prayers and the desires of my heart, after all His word promises to do just that. 


"Take delight in the Lordand he will give 
you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4


I definitely felt like God was using Josh's accident to teach me compassion.  I instantly felt compassion and empathy for those who have suffered much more severe burns than those of my husbands'.  My heart also ached for other wives who get that horrible phone call that their husband has been hurt.  Nothing can compare to the hurt, the panic and more importantly the desire for God's strength to get through such a challenge.

And just when I thought God's lesson on compassion for me was complete, He reminded me very quickly that He wasn't done teaching me yet.  Early this week Jayce came down with a stomach bug.  After struggling through a couple sleepless nights and him being in such excruciating pain I finally decided to take him into the doctor to make sure everything was okay and to make sure that I shouldn't be worried about his recovery.  After getting to the doctor I quickly realized that this was something more than just a stomach bug.  We then had to begin the very difficult process of running tests, which included blood work and an IV port.  I have such a new understanding for parents who have to go through this on a regular basis.  Absolutely nothing can prepare a parent for the fear, terrifying screaming and panic that their child endures through this process!  I was standing outside the same ER room with my little boy laying in the exact same hospital bed that my husband laid in exactly 3 weeks prior.  I was definitely starting to feel helpless and extremely overwhelmed.  The friends and family that surround you during these times are a tremendous blessing.  I called my dear friend who was watching our little girl and she immediately prayed over Jayce and I over the phone.  What a blessing this conversation was.  The peace and strength God provides is beyond words.  

We then began the long wait for the results from the tests and our doctor shared with us that Jayce had an infection in his intestines.  He could have sent us home and let Jayce's body continue to fight through the infection but decided to go ahead and admit him into the hospital to get some fluids going to help with his dehydration and some medicine to help with the stomach pains.  As exhausted as we all were, we were so grateful our little dude started to get some relief.  

Sissy came to visit and didn't hesitate to crawl up in the bed with her little brother and try to put a smile on his face.  I love this little girls heart!  She's had such a difficult month too, just trying to understand everything that's gone with Daddy and Jayce.  


The next day Jayce was finally able to eat something and was actually hungry, which we were so excited to see again!




And then we told him he was going to get to go HOME!  He was so excited to get everything unhooked and go home to rest.


Jayce has had to be on a specific diet for the last couple of days (which is extremely difficult for him to understand) and will have to continue for several more days as everything heals.  This has been a challenge for just a few days, I can only imagine parents dealing with food allergies every single day.  We've seen just a glimpse of what you go through.  And just this evening we had to talk about going back to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup.  He was so upset because he thinks he'll have to get 'poked' again and have to stay the night.  For those parents who have to go through this process on a much more regular basis and/or much more severe levels, my heart literally aches for you.

Although our family has had our share of challenges throughout the last several weeks, I can tell you that God is good and is faithful.  He carried us through each moment of these challenges and as a wife and a mom I hope to have a new level of compassion and understanding when someone else goes through a challenging season.  And to all of those who have helped us, prayed for us, visited us, helped with our kids, sent texts, cards, etc. over the last few weeks, thank you!  You have blessed us and showed us God's love!

And today I praise God for answered prayers for healing over these two special men in my life and for a new sense of compassion!  

Blessings,

Krystal







1 comments:

  1. What a rough few weeks! I'm so thankful your men are doing well and healing. This post was beautifully written too! Love it and your heart of compassion. In the 4 years I've known you, I'd say you've always had a compassionate heart. That's what I like about you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...