Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Day in My Kitchen!

Clare with Peak313 just recently wrote a blog post that really touched my heart called 5 Misconceptions about Healthy & Fit People.  I can relate to these misconceptions so much and there have been a few times where these misconceptions almost prevented me from continuing to blog about my journey.  My health and fitness journey is just like everyone else's and I am a constant work in progress.  I have struggles, enjoy a sweet treat once in a while and some days wander if it's all worth it.  My purpose for blogging about my journey is to share how God has carried me through every struggle, success and/or just encourage someone else on their own journey.

My precious family has been sick on and off for several weeks, which has resulted in inconsistent eating, fewer miles on the treadmill, and laundry that just won't end!  These are just aspects of life where we must grant ourselves the same grace that God gives us.  Although it's been a priority for us all to love and care for each other, I've greatly missed my time in my kitchen (and so has my little man).  I absolutely love stocking up on healthy snacks to put in the freezer, preparing meals for the week and just trying a new recipe.

Both of my kids enjoy being in the kitchen with me, but my youngest tends to come 'running' when I'm baking on a Saturday morning.  As I've shared before 'Granola Energy Balls' are a staple and favorite in our house.  Since Jayce wanted to help me make them this weekend, I let him pick the 'sweet' to go in them.  He picked mini M&M's to go in them.  Was it the healthiest choice?  Of course not, but it is an option that they enjoy and one that Mommy can be okay with.

I love this time with my little man!




Ready to go in the freezer and be enjoyed as a snack or dessert!

I also need to share a little funny and epic fail from my kitchen this weekend.  For those who have frequent restaurants with me, you know that I constantly ask about sweet potatoes and avocados.  These are two of my absolute favorite foods!  I've seen several recipes on Facebook, blogs and Pinterest that are brownies made with sweet potatoes, avocados, applesauce, etc.  I finally decided to make some.  My family thought I was absolutely crazy for making brownies out of sweet potatoes and avocados, but that certainly didn't stop me from trying.  And not only did I make a single batch to try, I decided a double batch would be worth the effort.  

Here's a picture of the end result.

The picture is definitely deceiving!  My family were great sports and actually tried them, but along with them, I had to admit that they were bitter, the texture was no where close to the consistency of a traditional brownie, and they were just terrible (with the exception of the frosting, which was amazing).  Even though I didn't care for them either, I still found myself sensitive to the honesty given by the 7 and 4 year old.  They naturally went on and on about how terrible the brownies were, which of course made me upset.  I ended up throwing them all out.  After Jayce noticed how upset I was, he said 'Mommy, I think you need to go take a nap.'  We all laughed and appreciated his concern and recommendation.  I'm not sure I'll get my family to try this combination any time in the near future again, but putting avocados in brownies is definitely something we'll be giggling about for quite some time!

The lesson on this day in my kitchen... there are times you're going to fail.  When that happens, just throw it in the trash and go take a nap!

Blessings,

Krystal




1 comments:

  1. What a great idea to put M&m's in the granola balls! I may have to do that for the boys next time I make them. I just made more and have them in my freezer. So sad to hear those brownies were a flop. You should have saved a piece...I would have loved to try it. So did you get a nap? Lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...