Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Asking Forgiveness from Your Child

After completing our first race as a family and watching her mommy and daddy run in different races, our six year old little girl has started to have an interest in running.  And wow, has that made her mommy smile. I've really struggled with the balance of how to encourage her to stay active and healthy without pushing too hard and realizing that just because I enjoy running doesn't mean that either of my kids will. Deep down though, I would love to enjoy this together as a family. 

My Mom treated Miss Ky with some new running clothes last week so after she got home she was anxious to give them a try. Of course I know exactly how that feels. New gear always makes the next run a little more fun and exciting. While we were getting ready for the day on Monday Ky did what she typically does and asked how my run went and how far I ran (I love it when she inquires about my run). I told her that I did a different workout but would be running on Tuesday. She then asked if we could go for a run after work.  Of course I couldn't turn her down and agreed to a mile run after work on Monday. 

It was extremely hot, but we decided to venture outside (first mistake).  Josh and Jayce were out cruising around on the RZR and snapped a couple pictures of us. 



This was still at the beginning of our run so we were both feeling pretty good, but that changed when were about half way. Ky needed to walk, so we did, I then made a huge mistake. I started pushing her too hard to finish the run strong. This poor little girl was really hot, tired and frustrated. I should have let her just finish walking home but I told her she was strong and could finish the run. She cried a little bit and then we finished. After we finished the mile we walked the rest of the way home and I began to feel horrible. What should have been fun and enjoyable just turned into something she may never do again simply because of how I pushed her too hard. 

We did have smiles at the end, but we still had some mending of our hearts that needed to take place. 

I prayed for wisdom and guidance that evening as I began tucking my little girl into bed. I love God's grace and life lessons. I had to humble myself and apologize to my little girl for pushing her too hard and asked her to forgive me. She quickly said "of course I forgive you, mamma."  As a parent it can be difficult to apologize to your child, but God can do some amazing things during these times.  There was a tremendous relief both for her and for me. I then suggested to Kylee that if she wanted to go for a run together again that maybe we should do it in the morning while it's cool outside. She thought that was a great idea, and I was just excited that she actually wanted to run again!  God's grace is amazing!

We decided we would run together early Wednesday morning (after I finished my Turbo Fire workout), which meant she would have to go to bed early Tuesday night. I had her lay out her clothes and shoes so that it would be quick and easy for her to get ready when she woke up!
  

She woke this morning SO excited to run. She said she didn't want to listen to music while we ran so that we could talk. What a blessing this child is. I told her she could decide if we walk or run and I would not push her at all. The conversation we had was so sweet and genuine. We only stopped once as her shoe came untied otherwise we ran the entire time. After we reached the half mile mark she said 'I think I can run farther than a mile today.'  I said 'we sure can if that's what you want to do.'  We ran 1.26 miles but the true joy came from the mended relationship and the blessing of running beside my precious little girl!  

She truly enjoyed this run and so did I!


She was so proud of her accomplishment too. I love how running makes you feel good when you go a little further or a little faster than you did before. Great job Ky, your Mama is so very proud of you!


But then the REAL joy came. Kylee saw an absolutely beautiful sunrise. She said 'Mama, it looks as if God is shining down through the clouds.'  I said, 'He is baby.'  While sharing with my husband about our morning, we discovered that Kylee's never seen the sun rise like this before. She's typically not a morning person and the sun is usually up before she wakes up.  I'm so excited I got to share this special morning with her and am praising God for His grace every morning and for choosing me to be her mother!  


Have you ever shared a sunrise with your child?

Ephesians 2:4-9 
4But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved. 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-9not by works, so that no one can boast.


Blessings,

Krystal






3 comments:

  1. That's so great! Praise God For those sweet, humbling moments huh? Love you both and when I get back, I need to run with you 2. Ask Kylee if I can join y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praising God, indeed :) Yes, we most certainly need to run together when you get back. I'm sure Miss Kylee will respond with a definite yes. She talked about missing you this evening when practicing piano!

      Delete
  2. Nice post! Both mama and girl look nice and happy.I love this article! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...