Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Race Day~Slacker Half Marathon

The day finally came!  I've ran several other races before, but nothing compared to how I felt this morning. I was so excited to get to run in the mountains and of course a little nervous. I kept checking the weather to decide what to wear (which turned out to be my biggest struggle of the day) and trying to decide if I was going to carry my own water or if I was going to stop at the water stations. 

I also spent a lot of time in prayer for strength and endurance and for God's grace to fully enjoy the experience and His creation!  The texts and messages of encouragement were also a tremendous blessing. One dear friend (who doesn't really enjoy running) went for a run earlier this morning out of support and spent the time in prayer. Nothing touches this runner (wow I just called myself a runner) more than a run and prayer. This very kind and encouraging moment brought me to tears! A true example of a divine friendship that I will always cherish!  Throughout this journey I've been reminded to look for opportunities to be that same encouragement to others. I definitely became emotional as I prepared to run 13.1 miles! 

It was then time to head to the starting line at the Loveland ski area. Josh was going to drop me off and then head to a spot with the kiddos to cheer me on.  We got there and it was still pretty chilly!

My little dude helped me warm up!


A few more pictures and then it was time for them to head to their next destination!


The view as we waited to start was breathtaking!  The beautiful mountains, a gorgeous sunrise and almost 2,000 individuals getting ready to run. 


I (as well as a lot of other runners) were a little frustrated about the race starting about 15 minutes late, but it was a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things. The first 1/4 of a mile was really rough. It was on gravel (causing a lot of dust), had a steep downhill portion, and a few small creeks to jump over.  Definitely not something you can train for in Northeast Colorado. Once we got through that, it was an absolutely gorgeous path.  I always hate the first mile of ANY run. It usually takes my body that long to get into a rhythm and get my breathing under control. This run was definitely not an exception. 

After about 4.5 miles we started to run out of shade and the temperature began to climb and I began to get hot and started to regret not wearing my tank as planned. It was so cold at the beginning and I had no idea the temperature would increase 30 degrees from the beginning to the ending of the race!  It was a hard lesson to learn!  Follow your instinct and original plan for gear and DO NOT change your plan on race day!  I can't tell you how many times I read that on fellow running bogs and yet, I still did it!

I was so glad to see Josh and the kids at mile 6. It was perfect timing for some familiar faces and some encouragement. 


It was then time to keep pushing forward and finish this run despite the issue of overheating. My original plan was to stop at every other water stop, but due to the heat, I ended up having to stop at every one of them, which was every two miles. This was frustrating me a little bit, but I had to remind myself that I suffered a migraine a few days prior, had to run in elevation, as well as, struggle through the heat.  I then finally hit my sweet spot of every run, the last two miles. For some reason that's when I quit struggling mentally and just enjoy the finish. 


We were able to see the Georgetown Loop as we approached the later part of the half marathon. It was just beautiful!


And finally I hit the 13 mile mark and had the .1 to finish. It was then when I saw my very precious family. I was so excited to see them. And beside them I recognized a very special family. A dear friend and her family surprised me and were there to support while I finished. I then started to cry and had a hard time finishing. I was physically spent, excited to cross the finish line and so incredibly touched by ALL the support and encouragement I had received from friends and family up to this point. 

And here I am crossing the finish line. I can't even put into words the realm of emotions I experienced at this time!  I finished in 2:27:19, which was 6 minutes faster than I had run it on my training run.  It wasn't quite as fast as I had hoped, but the ultimate goal was to finish!  Running a half marathon is a big deal, but let me tell you, if I can do it anyone can!


It was then time to celebrate and love on my precious family!  They have loved and supported me from the very beginning!  I love these two so very much and hope I encourage them as much as they have encouraged me. It's amazing what our kids can teach us!


And then it was time to enjoy lunch with a special family!  These are the best cheerleaders a person could ask for (my poor little girl wasn't feeling well)!


I was so incredibly touched by the support, love and prayers from this family. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!  It was definitely a surprise I will never forget!


This was such an incredible experience and I can't wait to register for another race, as well as, support others who are also on this incredible journey!  

This year long journey has taught me to seek God first, set goals, develop a plan and enjoy every step (and stumble) of the journey!

Blessings,

Krystal














2 comments:

  1. Okay...you've twisted my arm. I think I should train to run one next summer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! You made me do a happy dance when I saw your post!!! Let's do it together. I would love to do the Slacker's Half marathon again next year, but you pick the race and I'll be there!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...