Sunday, September 22, 2013

Homemade Flat Bread

My family really likes flat bread, and so do I!  It's been a while since I've made some homemade flat bread, so I was glad to get some more made and put in the freezer.  They are great for lunch or a quick meal when we don't have much time.  I make 4 or 5 batches at a time as this recipe doesn't make a lot of dough.  This recipe was adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kathleen-daelemans/homemade-flat-bread-recipe2/index.html.
 

Ingredients:

* 2 teaspoons active yeast
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (next time, I'm going to try using whole wheat flour for an even healthier option)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup warm water

Directions:

In the bowl of a food processor combine first four ingredients.  Pulse to combine.  Gradually poor the water in a steady stream.  Dough will form a ball.  Knead dough a few times and place in a bowl that has been coated with oil.  

Cover bowl and let rise until double in size (about an hour).  When the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough and knead it lightly.  Cut into pieces and roll out to form very flat 5-6 inch circles.

Preheat an electric skillet to about 300 degrees (do not oil).  Place bread on hot skillet and cook without touching it until you see bubbles on the surface (about 2 minutes).  Turn and continue to cook about 2 minutes until bread has puffed up.  

Serve immediately or store in freezer safe container or freezer bags!


Blessings,

Krystal



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I know William and Herb enjoyed these when you made them for us. I use white whole wheat flour. It's less gritty. I have texture issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I know William and Herb enjoyed these when you made them for us. I use white whole wheat flour. It's less gritty. I have texture issues.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...