Saturday, June 15, 2013

It's JUST 2 Words!

A little conviction today!  I've come to realize that there are two words that should be eliminated from EVERY runner's vocabulary!

The first word that should be eliminated is the word 'just'!
I have found that this simple word can be so discouraging to not just myself but those around me.  I began to realize the danger of this word when friends would ask me about our family run and I would say 'We "just" ran the 1 mile.'  God began teaching me a lesson regarding choosing my words and encouraging others around me.  What was 'just' a mile for me after training for a year was a REALLY big deal for my precious little girl who ran in her very first race.  I don't ever want to risk discouraging her (or anyone else) from wanting to run again by her feeling her distance was in any way inadequate.

The other dangerous word for a runner is the word 'only'!


Just recently I was talking about my training with a friend and caught myself saying 'I "only" ran 6 miles today.'  As I reflect on my journey over the last year, I was reminded when 6 miles or 3 miles was a really big deal for me (and on some days they still are a big deal).  Running is such a mental challenge and using these words can cause myself unnecessary struggles during a run.  I've since realized that when I'm sharing about my training, there may be someone who is just thinking about running and me using the words 'just' and 'only' could really discourage them from starting.  Or someone may be struggling with reaching their 5k goal and I risk discouraging them too.  Earlier this week a good friend came to me and said she wanted to get some friends/running pals together to run one of my final training runs with me before my first half marathon next weekend to simply show their love and support as I had a really bad run last weekend.  I was so incredibly touched and blessed by this and realized that just as I need encouragement once in a while, so do others around me.  I'm so excited to meet up with these ladies this week and am also so excited that my little girl is also going to get up and come run and support her mommy.  I have come to love this sport and lifestyle, and want to encourage others who are considering giving it a try or have been doing it for a long time and just need an encouraging word to keep persevering through each and every step!  

I know that I've been guilty of using these words when I shouldn't have and if I've discouraged any of you through my blog or through just chatting about running with these two words, I sincerely apologize and pray that you can forgive me.  I praise God for His mercy and grace every morning! 

Every single mile is an accomplishment and a part of your journey!  

Get out there and run a mile, a 5k, 10k, a half marathon or a full marathon... just run :)

Blessings,

Krystal







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...