Sunday, October 20, 2013

Another Half Marathon!

Back in June I ran the Slackers Half Marathon race, which was such an incredible experience.  I also learned so much from that race.  One of the difficult lessons I learned was that I must be careful when choosing a race to run.  I have to be cautious for both my spiritual and physical health.  As I've wrote about in the past, I got a migraine two days before my first half marathon race due to stressing over the race and allowing my fitness to become an idol.  What was a way to relieve stress became my stress.

Like many runners, I am much more committed and dedicated on a daily and weekly basis if I have a goal to works towards, which is one of the many reasons that races are so valuable.  A dear friend and fellow running pal came across US Road Running, which is a site dedicated to virtual races.  The way that it works, is you register for a race (which they have all sorts of different themed, monthly, team races, etc.) online.  The fee is really reasonable, simply to cover the administrative costs and costs of the medals.  With some of the races they mail you your medal right away and you can have it ready for race day and others you log back in after your race, record your time and then they mail you your medal with your name and time on the back of the medal.  You can then run your race at any location (indoors or outdoors) at any time (within the guidelines of the chosen race).

I absolutely loved this idea for so many reasons.  Living in rural America it can be a challenge to travel to the larger races, therefore a virtual race is less expensive, easier on my family and a lot less stressful for this runner and yet, still gave me a great goal to work towards.  A group of us then picked a date, picked our distances, set our goals and got registered!  I registered for the Movie Madness Half Marathon, which is a virtual half marathon that you can complete anytime during 2013.  I was so excited to receive my medal in the mail and then I sat it on the shelf to wait for 'race day', which I happen to receive the same day as a new pair of running shoes.  Oh happy day!!!



I didn't feel near the anxiety in the days leading up to the race that I did for my last half marathon.  I'm not sure if it was the fact that I had already proved to myself that I could actually run the distance, the fact that I was able to sleep in my own bed the night before or the fact that I had an amazing group to run with and support each other.  God truly has blessed me with an incredible group of supportive and encouraging people along this journey and the fact that we never get tired of talking about 'running' with each other is a bonus.

Race day finally arrived!  I usually run really early in the morning, so waiting to run at 8:00 am was a bit of a challenge, but it was just too cold for us to start any easier!  We went a little early so that the kids and I could create a finish line.


Then it was time for a quick picture before we got started!


We had such a sweet supporter who set up a water station for us and the greatest little guy rooting for us as we went by!  And just look at the fall colors we enjoyed on this run!


My very sweet husband traveled around the various locations taking pictures, while also being there to love and support me on this race.  He blessed me so much by making me feel like this race was just as important as a race that had 10,000 people running!  I just love him so much!

I made a 4 mile loop around our small town several times and then finished the last 1.1 miles on some side streets! At mile 8 my dear husband had a water bottle ready for me.  He also drove around to various spots so that him and the kids could encourage me and make sure I was doing okay.


Because of this being a virtual race, my precious girl was able to join me for part of my half marathon.  


Her original plan was to run the last mile with me, but after about 1/2 a mile her little tummy was hurting, so she headed back towards Daddy and celebrated coming across the finish line as well, while I finished out the final portion of my run!


I made it and my little dude had my medal at the finish line.  There's nothing sweeter than the loving support of my dear family at a finish line, even if it's a finish line that only a few have crossed and one we drew out with sidewalk chalk.  I'll take it!!!

 

I finished this half marathon in 2:20:21 (average pace of 10:42), which was about 7 minutes faster than my first half marathon race.  My goal was to keep my average pace under 11:00 minute miles, so I was excited!  

I love this little guy, he cheered for mommy and was the first one to say 'good job mommy' after crossing the finish line.  Those words my friends, make every single strike to the pavement worth it!


It brought me to tears when this sweet girl came running up to me to join me for part of my race.  She's definitely starting to enjoy this support.  Although I would love for her to enjoy running the same as I have come to do, my real hope is that she see's how running has changed her mommy's health, life and the way God has used it to draw me closer to Him!


God used this race to teach me once again!  A lesson in contentment!  I don't need a big racing event with a lot of people, a fancy venue, multiple water stations or an overnight stay somewhere to enjoy a great run (although those races are fun too).  All I need is God's strength, great friends, an incredible family and an open heart to enjoy the view of where I'm at right now!  Well... and a good pair of running shoes.  I can't wait to do another virtual race.  Now to put another race on the calendar!

Blessings,

Krystal







2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the run...even though my crew was late in arriving to see me cross the finish line. Anyway...i would do it again. Now that i got my phone fixed, it should be better. I think im going to go ahead and invest in a watch and just carry a small ipod. Its been on my wishlist for a year now....guess "santa" wants me to save my money and go halfway in. ;) lets do again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wear my watch as a backup :) We most certainly need to do it again! Definitely one of my favorite races!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...