Saturday, January 5, 2013

How it all began...

It's hard to believe that 8 months ago this new journey began.  A very dear friend and I had been working out together early in the mornings several times a week for a couple of years.  This was not just a great time to work out but an everlasting friendship emerged.  One morning while working out my dear friend said she's always wanted to do one of those mud runs and me and my infinite wisdom said, 'we should find one and do it.'  Later that day I was definitely having mixed emotions as I have NEVER in my life run more than the required 1 mile run in school or the running required in high school volleyball (which wasn't much) or the quick run out to a vehicle and back if it's bitter cold outside!  This by no means prepared me for what was to come.

After discussing it in Sunday school with another friend we found a 'Dirty Girl Mud Run' http://www.godirtygirl.com that was going to be in September 2012 (more to come on this event) so we began the training.  We began with the Couch to 5k program which I highly recommend for beginners.  It's an app you can install on your phone or iPod and gives you a daily workout that you can listen to simultaneously with music on your phone.  You begin with walking/running intervals and work your way up to running a full 5k.  I then began using other apps like the Nike+, daily mile, and others which I will share more details about in a later post.  

And so that's how it all started.  God can use all sorts of ways to draw us closer to Him and I never dreamed running would be one of them!    Stay tuned for more about this journey!  






2 comments:

  1. DUNAMIS 116 my friend ("maniac")! Moriah Peters sings a song that makes me think of running. "well done".... Google it. But I'm proud of you and am so glad we began this journey together. And I've added you to my blog list! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that song and it's been added to my running playlist! And yes, Dunamis 116 is my next post! This has been an incredible journey! I'll be adding a blog list shortly too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...