Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Track Your Workouts!

When I first started running last spring I didn't keep track of my workouts or my running history.  In fact, I never really thought about it.  It wasn't until I accomplished my goal of running a 5k (last summer) that I began thinking, 'now what'?  I began reading about different apps and methods for keeping track of miles, times, etc.  Here's what my journey looked like as I began tracking my workouts and running last August.

The first app I tried was the Nike+ app (www.nikeplus.nike.com).  Some pros of this app include GPS capability, the app is FREE, tracks all of your stats regarding running, provides an estimate for calories burned, works while music is playing on the device and it can give you voice feedback regarding distance.  This app also has an indoor and outdoor feature so it will track your runs outside as well as your runs on the treadmill, BUT this is where I started having trouble.  After I began running on the treadmill in October (it was officially too cold for me to run outside), the app quit working properly and wasn't tracking my miles properly.  I also found that it didn't have an easy way to input a cross training workout, which I was beginning to want to track as well!  One other issue I had was I couldn't figure out how to correct a run in the event that you thought you hit 'end workout', but the app was still running while you are driving down the road (that causes some interesting results).  After this happens then all of the stats are skewed!  Don't get me wrong though, even with some of these frustrations this app is still my preferred app when I'm running outside.

In October I began researching, once again, for ways to keep track of my various workouts.  There are so many resources out there that it can be overwhelming.  What I have found though, is to look for one that will meet your needs and give it a try (and keep with it), even if it's just writing it in a journal.  I came across Dailymile (www.dailymile.com).  It doesn't have a fancy app and you have to manually record your distance and time.  There are some apps out there that work in conjunction with dailymile, but I haven't given them a try yet.  So when I'm at the gym I let the treadmill keep track of my distance and time and during my cool down I go to www.dailymile.com from my phone and record my workout.  I can also record when I ride the bike, or do weight training or any combination!  The other great thing about dailymile is I was able to take all of the 'correct' history from Nike+ and manually key it into Dailymile so that the information is now all compiled into one location.  I really wish I would have kept track of my workouts from the very beginning. 

The purpose of tracking your workouts is to help hold yourself accountable, set goals for yourself and to also be encouraged along the journey to reaching personal goals!  It's also fun to share some of the stats with your kids! When I get discouraged about a workout, I can go back and see what my workouts looked like three months ago and see how they've changed.  The longer you stick with it, the more valuable the information.  Here's a couple screen shots of what my dailymile information looks like right now.  You can look at the data in several different formats.  For example the first screen shot shows information for all of my workouts from last week, but I could also change it to only show the runs (eliminating all of my cross training).  There's even features and reporting that I haven't tried yet! 

Here's a display of my workouts from last week:



Here's a fun display that shows my totals since I began tracking my workouts (it even shows how many donuts I've burned, LOL):


Dailymile also has a widget you can put on your blog or website (you can see mine on the right side of my blog).  It always displays my last workout and my total miles for the week, year and grand total! 


If you aren't already doing so, start tracking your workouts today, you will be encouraged!!! 

Blessings,

Krystal

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...